Friday, July 3, 2009

In Progress

OK, I'm not ashamed to show my work in progress, after all, it's not finished!  Here's one of my first trials with watercolor pencils. This is a rough pic of an experimental piece patterned off a rug! It reminded me of Piet Mondrian's work, but I used a color scheme separate from the rug and Mondrian. I chose the Prismacolor brand because I already love the waxy paint-like qualities of regular Prismacolor colored pencils.

The paneled grid reminded me of homes in the Far East, and the corn resembled bamboo.  This pic shows the first drawing, water wash, and over-drawing with Prismacolor regular colored pencils, Prismacolor Stix, Prismacolor watercolor pencils, and Conte Crayon pencil pastels in the upper left corner, as well as an irridescent wash in some areas to create a heat-mirage effect. At this point, I thought the piece was done. I was thinking "Prairie Heat" with the hot sun beating down on fields with grasshoppers and butterflies.

I've done more work on this since, adding a layer of Dura-Lar Mylar, colored inks, and Chinese characters. "Fertile Fields" will be on display July 7-Aug 2 at the Pumphouse for the
"The Hills" annual competition and exhibition. The opening reception is Thursday, July 7, 6-8 pm with a feast provided by the Farmer's Market - WOW! (Update: this piece was awarded an Honorable Mention in Mixed Media at the 29th Annual Foothills Art Festival at Canter's Cave near Jackson, OH!) 

Here's to experimenting and the joy of discovery!!!
 

~ellen. 

Illustration:  "Fertile Fields", watercolor pencil, ink, colored pencil, watercolor, oil pastels, conte crayon, on mylar and 140 lb. cold press watercolor paper, 9" x 11".  Ellen Doerres © 2009.

No comments: