Wednesday, September 2, 2009

The Promise of Change

As promised, here is my painting done "by the light of the moon."  As sure as the sun will rise tomorrow, even the moon rises, changing my view as I paint - will nothing  stay the same, even for a little while?! The moon and the rise and fall of tides across the globe - the ebb and flow of water mimics the ebb and flow of themes throughout our lives, each day, every day.  Some things are the same, but yet, somehow they are always different.

Sometimes I am not always sure of what is real...I see double.  There are two sides to every story.  I value Honesty and Truth.  That means that we have to take the good with the bad in the tides of life.  How can we do that without being overwhelmed by the negative?

Celebrate life in it's entirety.  Focus on the good, learn from the rest, accept it for what it is, and move on.  The moon is beautiful but it has to surrender to the sun, sharing the sky for a brief luminous passing of power, and then the sun must also set to allow the moon to shine.  Tender-sweet moments co-exist with harsh brutality. 

Make a promise to yourself:  Focus on the good, today.  My son's grandfather passed away yesterday after a long illness.  For my soon to be 15-year-old, it was a harsh reality that he witnessed, and heightened new emotions overwhelmed him.  The toughness of his grandfather's character persisted even to the last moment, and it is my hope that the memory of his grandfather's strength is what my son chooses to carry with him for inspiration in the dark; for none of us are perfect, even the ones we love most are simply human after all.

RAOK - Random Acts of Kindness, also include yourself!

~ellen.

Illustration:  Seeing Double, watercolor-ink-graphite on paper-vellum, 8" x 10", Ellen Doerres © 2009(art journal page)

No comments: